Friday, September 28, 2007

Reshaping the Classroom

Collette said it all when she commented that "they [kids] are already connected." This is why I strongly believe in learning styles to engage students. I give each one of my students the VARK test at the beginning of every semester. This helps the student, as well as the teacher, diagnose any difficulties in learning. The VARK tests for Visual, Aural, Read/Write and Kinesthetic learning styles. For instance, if a student is having trouble in Geometry he may have a low visual learning preference. Another example is a low Read/Write preference for a student having difficulty with writing essays. The VARK website has the questionnaire that will help students acknowledge their learning styles. It also allows students the study strategies connected to their learning style to assist them with study skills.

However, there are many other types of learning styles that even Gardner updates periodically, such as the natural learning style. Yet, I have not heard of a technological learning style, but I do believe that the majority of my students prefer learning through wireless technology (or even wired). I have indications in the VARK test whereas each and every high school student I have tested always answers the question: "You are planning a holiday for a group. You want some feedback from them about the plan. You would:" with this one possible choice, "phone, text, or email them."

Therefore, in agreement with Collette, I also envision a wireless classroom whereby students have paperless courses and tote laptops and iPods. In fact, with this course I do believe Dr. Faverty has started a trend!

http://www.gazette.net/stories/082907/silvnew192938_32358.shtml




No comments: